Sunday, March 21, 2010

You're So Vain, You'll Probably Choose a Mate That's Just Like You


Humans choose their mates based on many different variables. One of those variables is likeness. To be more specific I am referring to physical likeness. After reading an article by Liliana Alvarez, about an experiment done to test the theory that we are attracted to others like ourselves, I found a lot of insightful information. The article is titled "Narcissism guides mate selection: Humans mate assortatively, as revealed by facial resemblance, following an algorithm of 'self seeking like'."

My first thought was why would we want to find a mate that looks similar to ourselves? I thought that the theory might not have been very stable, because if we looked for others physically similar to ourselves than inbreeding would probably occur since close and even distant families members would theoretically resemble each other the most. Through reading this article I discovered that our instincts lead us away from both out-breeding and in-breeding since both can have deleterious effects. Too much out-breeding and in-breeding can both lead to too much homogenization which will lead to a decrease in variability. This is probably why we choose mates who look similar but have no linkable relation to ourselves.

In the experiment documented by Alvarez 36 randomly chosen couples were compared and the similarities between the six couples pictured is quite surprising. This picture can be found in the article at this link on page 6.

Different individuals were then asked to identify different things such as which male and female look most closely related, and which male and female look like they are a couple. The results of the experiment show that people matched the couples that looked the most similar to each other in both situations.

Another reason, that was stated in the article, as to why we choose to mate with people who look similar to ourselves, is the fear of rejection. People who think that they are less attractive than another individual have less of a chance of asking that individual on a date because they fear the idea of being rejected by a person that they believe to be very attractive.

People were also asked to rate the individuals pictures on how attractive they were. Another result was that people usually ended up pairing the people they considered most attractive with each other, and so on down the line to the people that they considered the least attractive to themselves. These pairings of individuals on this basis also have relatively accurate results.

So where does this like of physical similarity stem from? According to Alvarez it stems from our parents. A process called imprinting is occurring when we are small children, and it is the process of formulating what we consider to be attractive qualities in our minds. As it states in this article there is no way to define what is attractive and what is beautiful. That is decided by the individual, but as we have discussed that idea of beauty comes from what we imprint as children, which just happens to be our parents who are very physically similar to ourselves.

All of this boils down to one of the assumptions of Evolution, non-random mating. Because if mating were random than people would just mate with anyone without any criteria necessary. Non-random mating is inherently assortative. We all have specific things that we like and that we don't like and we sort through people based on these criteria, as to who we would like to mate with.

Physical likeness is just one piece of a larger picture of why we choose the people that we choose as our partners, but it is also a very important one when it comes down to the instinctual pressure to avoid excessive out-breeding and in-breeding. There is a saying that came to mind while I was reading this article, "you must first learn to love yourself before you love another", and after reading the article I concluded that once you love yourself you'll want to love someone just like you.

5 comments:

  1. Caitlin,
    I read this earlier in the week but wanted to take a minute to tell you (again!) how interesting your blog is to read. I haven't yet printed off this paper but I intend to. I'm also pleased that this week's entry paralleled what we discussed in class.
    -Dr. Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. hyy
    this is nice blogpost sharing for thanks ! Tadapox Pills is necessary to improve sexual performance.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Looking for bisexual people for bisexual hookup? Check the high quality bisexual dating site: Bisexual Clubs and find your potential partners for bisexual dating or hookup, this bi chat room is free to join now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  5. More polygamy singles and their admirers find polyamorous dating or polyamorous relationship on polyamorous dating sites review, here are some excellent polygamy dating sites for people to find and select. The review of polyamorous dating websites review lists the top 5 polyamorous dating sites which help people find the best and most suitable polyamorous dating site.

    ReplyDelete