Sunday, April 4, 2010

What’s height got to do with it?



Ever hear a woman say she’s looking for Mr. Tall, dark, and handsome? Well she might actually be doing just that. In an article by Gayle Brewer entitled, “Height, Relationship Satisfaction, Jealousy, and Mate Retention” the relative attractiveness of different heights to women are investigated.

In this study it is discussed that women, in general prefer tall men because of the evolutionary advantages that being tall possesses. The taller a man is the greater the quantity of testosterone is present in his body. The greater the height of a man may indicate a better ability to protect or provide, which in turn is a cue to a woman that a taller man will be able to pass on these qualities to her children.

In a study of 98 heterosexual males it was shown that men that were taller had less jealousy in their relationships, and were over all more satisfied with their relationships. That’s not to say that taller men are not prone to be just as jealous as shorter men, they are just jealous at different instances for different reasons. Tall men and short men also deal with their jealously differently.

Taller men tend to ward off their chances of jealously by practicing “mate retention” behaviors. They are more likely to make sure that almost all of their mate’s time is spent with them instead of out with friends where there could be other males that their partner could find more attractive. Taller men are also more likely to be watchful of their partner to make sure that they are not talking with someone of the opposite sex behind their back. The reason that taller men use these strategies is because they find themselves to be good mate choices and don’t view this potentially negative behavior as having any serious consequences on the relationship since they don’t feel they have much competition.

Since shorter men often feel more jealousy then taller men they are more apt to try and keep their partner by showing more care and affection. They are more likely to try and convince their partner that they don’t need to go and look for some taller man with more testosterone because they are a more stable partner that can provide and give them the affection that they need.

After reading this article it started me thinking about the whole idea behind why so many women prefer the “bad guy” to the “good guy” It seems like the taller men that have more testosterone have more of the bad guy qualities when they are practicing mate retention behaviors, like watching their partner, and keeping them from spending time with other people besides themselves. Shorter men seem to exude the good guy qualities with their mate retention behaviors when they do more caring and affectionate things to try and maintain their relationships.

*New word: Cuckold- The husband of an unfaithful wife.

Example: The shorter man was made a cuckold when his wife cheated on him with a taller man.

6 comments:

  1. That is so fascinating! I like the link you made between "bad guys" & "good guys" and tall and short guys, respectively, and I think you're onto something.
    -Dr. Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting posting, I can relate to it as a short man who is married to a taller woman. I am definitely not the jealous type, I believe my height had a lot to do with me encouraging my wife to date other men, which hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taller men are more violent to their partners than shorter men are. Shorter men at least forgive their wives for screwing around on them and won't beat nor kill them that much unlike bigger men do. Short men are easier for women to dominate compared to taller men.

      Delete
  4. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shorter men in general actually have more testosterone than taller men. The higher the testosterone level is during puberty, the more free testosterone is in the blood that aromatizes to estrogen. Estrogen increases the rate of senescence of epiphyseal bone plates. I'm not sure where this article gets its information from, but that the evolutionary theory behind male behaviors is wrong as well. Most of the behaviors discussed here are socially constructed now rather than evolutionarily selected for;for example, short men and tall men would not have any evolutionarily different behaviors. The intermixing of genes between tall men and their offspring with short men and their offspring would be combined for any hunter gathering group evolutionarily speaking.

    ReplyDelete